email
twitter
linkedin
flickr

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Two unthinkable acts

I think I've left my longtime friend and instant messaging client, Trillian, behind now. I've used Trillian for many a year now because it combined all my instant messaging clients into one and group my many friends with many IM accounts into single contacts.

Now with my social networking experiment running, I've also done what I said I would never do...

registered for Facebook

[I'll give you a moment to compose yourself]

Facebook seems to have what I was looking for in being a kind of social clearing house. Combined with mugshot, I have built a good presence online. But the thing I learned very quickly with Facebook is that it's hard to keep up with all that is going on. I tried a couple desktop clients and added the RSS feeds into my other friend, Google Reader, but they didn't seem to really be what I wanted.

Enter Digsby. This little piece of software does all the IM features I've loved about Trillian and adds in the notifications from social networking like Twitter and Facebook. So far I really like it. It keeps me in touch with my contacts and networks and because it keeps its configuration on the server, will do something Trillian never could do well...travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment